This month of August, Diamond Dental Care & Implant Centre and Australian Dental Association’s are celebrating the major oral health campaign of Dental Health Month.
The 2021 campaign focuses on the importance of taking steps to care for your teeth and gums to help you to keep your teeth and smile for life. The ADA's main oral health messages and the four key messages of the 2021 DHM campaign aim to reinforce the importance of maintaining good oral health to keep your teeth for life:
• Brush teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
• Clean between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
• Eat a healthy, balanced diet and limit added sugar intake.
• Visit the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
It should not be a normal expectation that at some stage of your life, teeth will need to be removed because of tooth decay or gum disease. Australians should expect to keep their teeth for their lifetime and practising these four simple routines can help people to reach this goal. After all, you do not expect to lose an arm or leg, so why expect to lose any of your teeth?
Tempting as it is to think that everyone is practising good teeth and mouth hygiene, the reality is that the oral health of many Australians is not where it should be.
• 75% of adults rarely or never floss or clean between their teeth.
• 1 in 5 adults brush only once per day.
• 39% of parents report their children to drink 2 - 5 soft drinks per week.
• 2 in 3 adults usually visit the dentist for a problem rather than a regular check-up.
• 47% of adults (18+ years) consume too much sugar.
More statistics on the oral health of Australian children and adults can be found in Australia’s Oral Health Tracker.
Diamond Dental Care & Implant Centre is your Family Friendly Sunshine Coast Dentist. We believe you should be able to find everything you need from a dentist under one roof. That's why our caring, personal and professional approach to dentistry is tailored to your needs, helping you enjoy excellent dental health, for life. Contact our friendly team to book your appointment or for further information or advice.